- Pivotal Greenplum Database (GPDB) all versions
- Pivotal HAWQ all versions
- Pivotal Hadoop all versions
This article discusses how to open a successful support ticket for the Pivotal Greenplum/HAWQ/Hadoop. The purpose is to show what information is required so that Pivotal Support can address your ticket quickly and in the most efficient manner.
Prior to opening a ticket, the following are a few steps that Pivotal recommends you to take:
- Check the product documentation. Many common problems can be resolved by reviewing our fine documentation. Search for the specific topic that is causing your trouble. Our documentation has a built-in search to help you quickly find what you need.
- Check our Knowledge Base(KB). It contains many articles written by the Pivotal Support Engineers. These articles are written to help resolve many of the common issues that we have encountered while working with a customer.
- Register for an account with the Pivotal Support. To open any support ticket, you must have a registered account with us. The process is easy and only needs to be done once. You can find instructions here.
Opening a Ticket
The process of opening a ticket with the Pivotal Support is simple and documented here. However, knowing what questions to ask or knowing what information to include on the ticket is not always easy. Consider using the following steps to resolve your ticket successfully and the speed at which your ticket can be resolved:
Step 1. Define the Problem
It is important for the Pivotal Support to understand the nature and scope of the problem you are experiencing. So, when you open a ticket, please start by providing a short description of the problem. Pivotal suggests that you include as much of the following information as possible:
- A brief description of the problem. Try to describe the symptoms of the problem clearly, carefully, and using proper terminology.
- Include details about any relevant recent changes to the cluster.
- Indicate any articles that you have already read and any troubleshooting steps that you have already taken.
- Indicate the impact and scope of this issue on your database cluster. Is the whole cluster down or just part of it? Is one application failing or are all the applications failing? Properly conveying the impact and scope of the problem will help Pivotal Support to focus on the specific issue quickly.
Include Supporting Information
Please include the following information when relevant:
- List the software and the full version of the numbers (x.y.z) being used. In case of Greenplum/HAWQ, a "SELECT VERSION()" from the psql prompt would be needed.
- Indicate if this is a Dev / QA / production environment.
- Provide any relevant details about the environment in which the problem is occurring. For example, how many servers and segments are there in the cluster? Have any changes been done in the OS / Database code?
- If possible, provide step-by-step instructions on how Pivotal Support can reproduce the problem that you are experiencing.
- Include the exact message for any errors that you are seeing. Either copy and paste the message or take a screenshot of it.
- You can also upload gpmt that will gather most of the details about the database cluster along with the database logs.
Here are some of the additional pointers for interacting with Pivotal Support:
- When sending text and logs to Pivotal, please attach them to the ticket instead of copying and pasting them into the ticket. Our ticket system has a limit on the size of posts and will truncate large logs and text output.
- Files up to the size of 20MB can be attached directly to the ticket. Files over the size of 20MB can be attached to the ticket if you split them into 20MB chunks. Or, you can request a SendSafely link through the support ticket and upload the file there.
- Please stick with the standard formats when sending information to Pivotal. Upload files as plain texts and, screenshots as PNG, JPG or PDF. Whenever possible, do not use rich text files or Microsoft Word documents.