Running Pivotal Web Server as non-root user (2010416)
This article provides information on:
- options available for running httpd as a non-root user.
- possible issues such a configuration may create.
Pivotal Web Server product is designed to run as the root user. There are three conditions that must be met to allow PWS to run as a non-root user.
Warning: Pivotal does not recommend running PWS as a non-root user.
- All ports used by httpd must be above port 1024. You will not be able to listen on port 80, the default port.
- The non-root user must have write access to the directories in which httpd is expected to write data, including temporary files and log files.
- All start-up scripts need execute permissions for the non-root user.