- You see the error Authentication failed when:
- Adding a new tc Server instance as a Hyperic monitored resource
- You have installed vFabric tc Server 5.1 and tc Server 2.7.0 (2.7.x) and are setting up Hyperic monitoring and management using the Spring Insight plugin
- You have installed vFabric tc Server 5.2 and tc Server 2.8.0 (2.8.x) and are setting up Hyperic monitoring and management using the Spring Insight plugin
- The tcServer instance is initially auto-discovered and you can add it to inventory, but after adding the tcServer resource to inventory, the servers and services are not discovered
- After auto-discovery and adding a tcServer instance to inventory the Resources > Insight Application link is unavailable
- The Hyperic agent.log contains entries similar to:
Unexpected error running autodiscoverer for plugin: Spring Insight: Authentication failed! Invalid username or password
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Authentication failed! Invalid username or password
Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Authentication failed! Invalid username or password
... 7 more
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.FailedLoginException: Invalid username or password
With vFabric 5.1 and tc Server 2.7.0, the JMX password for a newly created tc Server instance is randomly generated. This is a change from previous versions, which contained a default password of springsource.
The Spring Insight plugin for Hyperic is still expecting to use the default JMX password of springsource, which causes the JMX connection to the tc Server instance to fail and prevents Hyperic from completely discovering the Spring Insight dashboard.
When using vFabric tc Server 5.1 and 5.2 (tc Server versions 2.7.x and 2.8.x), you need to manually set the password used by the Spring Insight plugin.
To manually set the password:
- If not done already, initiate an auto-discovery. This should detect the Spring Insight dashboard.
- In the Hyperic Web UI, refresh the Dashboard. The Spring Insight dashboard is now listed in the Auto Discovery panel.
- Click the green Add to Inventory button to add the resource to your inventory.
- Go to Resource > Browse and select the Servers section.
- Select the Spring Insight dashboard instance. This has a Server Type of Spring Insight.
- Click the Inventory tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Edit.
- Locate and copy the tc Server JMX password.
This is located on the server where the Spring Insight dashboard was installed at conf/jmxremote.password. The file contains the JMX user, which defaults to admin, and the password.
- Paste the password into the jmx.password box on the Hyperic Web UI, then click the green OK button.
You see a message that says Your changes have been saved.
The HQ Agent now finishes the auto discovery of the Spring Insight dashboard. This process may take a few minutes depending on available server resources (such as CPU and memory) and the number of applications being monitored by Spring Insight.
After the process completes, the Spring Insight resources are labeled with the green availability check mark.