Pivotal Knowledge Base

Follow

How to add or modify my Availability Zones without the need to reinstall Pivotal Cloud Foundry®?

Environment

Product Version
Ops Manager 1.7.0+
Pivotal Cloud Foundry® (PCF)  

Purpose

When you initially install Ops Manager and PCF®, you’ll be asked to define the Availability Zones (AZs) for the installation. These dictate where the platform will place Virtual machines (VMs) on your IaaS. After you perform the initial installation, Ops Manager will lock these fields, and it won’t let you make changes to them.

Procedure

Because of the potential impact and risk of performing this operation, please contact Pivotal Support and do not attempt to make any changes on your own.  Failure to do so can result in outages or even data loss.

Impact/Risk

When making changes to the availability zone configuration, be very careful and keep the following in mind:

• Do not move singleton jobs. Moving singleton jobs will lead to persistent data loss.
  • Do not move non-singleton jobs that have persistent disks; this will also result in data loss. The exception is when the data can be restored or regenerated, like MySQL where it can synchronize with another node in the cluster and restore the persistent data or the Diego Database where it can rebuild the database from scratch.
  • Moving a non-singleton job out of an AZ after it has been deployed there will lead to IP allocation issues. You can work around this by scaling the job instance count down to one, adding the new AZ, and then scaling the job instance count back up. Please keep in mind that scaling down the instance count can have its problems, such as causing capacity problems or causing a job that is usually clustered like MySQL to no longer be clustered. Make sure you consider the impact of this before scaling down the job instance count.

Additional Information

PCF defines an Availability Zone as “A functionally independent segment of network infrastructure, often correlated with geographical region, designated to increase availability and fault-tolerance. A cloud operator can select or assign AZs on platforms such as AWS and vSphere.”

For more details on using availability zones with vSphere, please see the docs here.

For more information on using availability zones with AWS, please see the docs here.

Comments

Craig Bookwalter

No AZ docs for OpenStack? Why do I have to provide a different network per AZ in Ops Manager? BOSH doesn't require this.

Edited by Craig Bookwalter
    j epp

Existing AZs cannot be changed, but new AZs can be added.

I have found that the new AZs are not used when spinning up more Diego cells in the elastic runtime resources tab.
    I started with one AZ, added more, but the cell are only in AZ1

I figured out how to do it manually. But if I tweak the ops manager configuration or install a new tile, it over writes my hand edited deployment files
    How can I get the system to use the new AZ from the ops manager UI?

Daniel Mikusa

Do you see the checkboxes on the AZ tab for each tile? If you add a new AZ, you then have to check the box to tell Ops Manager that it should use the new AZ for each tile that should deploy VMs to that new AZ. In your case, that would be the ERT tile.

j epp

Unfortunately, once you have deployed the ERT tile you cannot change the settings in 'AZ and Network Assignments'.

There is a way to unlock it...
    https://discuss.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/articles/219118768-How-to-enable-advanced-mode-in-the-Ops-Manager

Daniel Mikusa

Correct. If you follow the instructions in that KB, you should be able to change the settings on the `Assign AZs and Networks` tab.