- Pivotal Greenplum Database (GPDB) 4.3.x
- Operating System- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.x
This article is to show an approach about how to determine which IP address on a node will be used by gptransfer to start gpfdist instance.
As gptransfer will set up data transfer using the gpfdist utility in source cluster sometimes it's necessary to know which IP address will be used if there are multiple IP addresses configured on the segment servers.
Then determine the IP address used by gptransfer to run gpfdist with following guidelines.
First, you need to check out which mode (fast or standard/slow mode) will be used in your situation.
If there is some old gptransfer log file available, you could run command
grep "mode for transfer" gptransfer_<yyyymmdd>.log to check which mode is being used for your site.
- If it's fast mode then the address of the primary segment in system table gp_segment_configuration of source cluster will be used.
- If it's standard mode and source map file is provided to gptransfer, then the address in source map file will be used
- If it's standard mode and source map file is not provided to gptransfer, but source cluster and dest-cluster are on the same host, then the address of the primary segment in gp_segment_configuration of source cluster will be used.