Pivotal Knowledge Base

Follow

Pivotal Support Update Vol. 3

Support Update Vol. 3 | September, 2016

In This Issue

Knowledge is Power and We Believe in Sharing

In the 90s, when people had a question about a product, they would ask other users or research for information in libraries. Today, with online libraries, online programs, and online serviceability, if we do not get an answer to our question online, that is not acceptable. In Pivotal, our ideology is to be available 24/7 for our customers, to build relationships with not only our product offerings but by continuing to be at your side as you realize maximum value from your Pivotal investments.

To help you achieve greater optimization, we present an exceptional depth and breadth of product knowledge with the richest How-to articles, Solution References, FAQs, Checklists, and Best Practices in our Knowledge Base. Our Knowledge Base is built upon the Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) philosophy of delivering timely information at the point of need. This is critical for empowered, efficient agents and for our customers, who expect to find answers to their questions quickly and easily, when and where they need it. Over this past year, our Knowledge Base has grown exponentially, getting over DOUBLE the views per month with strong click-through rates.

Our popular Data section offers information on Pivotal Greenplum, Pivotal GemFire, Pivotal HD, and Pivotal HDB. The articles presented in this section by our engineers not only provide actionable resolutions but also product information to make your experience easy and seamless. In our Pivotal Cloud Foundry and RabbitMQ sections, we present articles on a variety of product know-how to save you time and reach resolutions faster. We also have articles and forums on our Apps such as Pivotal Web Server, MADlib, and Spring IO to actively contribute to customer knowledge! And for your access and entitlement questions, informative articles are readily available in our General Support section.

Collaboration and knowledge sharing are at the center of our core values at Pivotal. Check out our Knowledge Base to see how our avenues are always open to help you. We welcome your feedback! Write to the Knowledge Management team at gss-km@pivotal.io.

Top Knowledge Base Articles

We've handpicked a list of our Knowledge Base Articles that are essential for you to know. Select those ones that are of interest and find out how to solve these issues.

Pivotal Greenplum

In this issue, we have selected articles on Memory Management to help all Greenplum admins. Here are the top three:

Resource queue tuning is an important part of Pivotal Greenplum database administration. Here is a Knowledge Base (KB) article to guide you about Resource Queue and Memory Management.

Resource Queues and Memory Management

Pivotal Greenplum consists of multiple segments. When the query is executed, first, the query plan is prepared on the master segment and then the query plan is sent and executed on the segments. Read the article to know more about Memory configuration.

Pivotal Greenplum (GPDB) Memory Configuration

Several reasons to contribute to a Greenplum Database process that generates an out of memory (OOM) error. These errors fall into two categories and are identified by the associated error codes. Within the two categories a number of reasons for the generated error. Here is an article to discuss these issues.

How to Identify Out of Memory (OOM) Errors

Pivotal GemFire

Long Java Virtual Machine (JVM) pauses, potentially removing members of the GemFire distributed system from the cluster are seen. This Knowledge Base article helps you to address the issue:

CMS fragmentation issues causing member to be removed from cluster in Pivotal GemFire

Security is always the number one priority for GemFire and in this issue we are sharing two of the most significant security articles:

GemFire provides a consistent way of configuring SSL for all Java-based GemFire components (cache servers, locators, clients, etc.). Hence, you can generally configure SSL for Java clients in a similar manner to cache servers or locators. For additional clarity, this article focuses on how to configure SSL for Java clients.

How to configure SSL for GemFire Java client

Here is a KB article that provides clarification for some common misunderstandings regarding the proper configuration of SSL within GemFire.

Choose correct type to config the ssl setting for gfsh or Native Client

Pivotal Cloud Foundry®

The How-to’s are immensely valuable for Pivotal Cloud Foundry users.

Each version of PCF ships with a set of build packs. This article explains the common strategies used to keep build packs up-to-date.

How to manage build packs on PCF®

This article describes how to globally configure proxy settings for all applications running on PCF by using a staging environment variable group and a running environment variable group.

How to set proxy settings for all applications running on PCF®

In many cases we have found that consul server failures in PCF can be corrected by wiping the data from the nodes and resetting them. This process essentially gives the cluster a fresh start and because there is no persistent data stored on the Consul server, the operation is harmless.

Read Consul fails to start during upgrade in PCF KB article to know more.

Pivotal RabbitMQ

This article provides information on Pivotal Support for open source RabbitMQ. It also provides information on the Support methodology and supported platforms.

Open Source RabbitMQ support and support methodology

If you are facing trouble from being able to create any RabbitMQ services instances, here is a handy guidance:

Restriction seen when setting RabbitMQ admin password for PCF RabbitMQ tile

Product Updates

Here's a quick view of recent software updates and upcoming End Of General Support dates to help keep you running the most current releases. Review to check if any of your products are listed here.  You can find our Pivotal Support Lifecycle Policy which includes our Pivotal Lifecycle Matrix.  This page was last updated on 9/26/16.

New Releases  
Product Date
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.8 9/22/16
Pivotal RabbitMQ 3.6.5 8/23/16
Pivotal tcServer 3.2.0 8/17/16
Pivotal Greenplum 4.3.9.0 8/8/16
Security Releases  
Product Date
Stemcells for PCF 3233.1 9/27/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry Operations Manager 1.8.2 9/22/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry Operations Manager 1.7.13 9/17/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime 1.7.20 9/12/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime 1.6.39 9/12/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry Operations Manager 1.6.20 9/10/16
Upcoming End of General Support  
Product Date
Pivotal RabbitMQ 3.5 9/11/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.0 11/30/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.1 11/30/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.2 11/30/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.3 11/30/16
Pivotal Cloud Foundry 1.4 11/30/16
RabbitMQ for PCF 1.x 11/30/16
Pivotal HD 1.1 11/30/16
Pivotal HD 1.1.1 11/30/16
Pivotal HDB 1.1.3 11/30/16
Pivotal HDB 1.1.4 11/30/16

Cloud Foundry Security Update
In July and August 2016, the PCF team released patches for 54 CVEs. More information can be found at http://pivotal.io/security.
The most recent security releases for PCF include:
  • PCF Elastic Runtime 1.6.39 and 1.7.20
  • PCF Operations Manager 1.6.20, 1.7.13 and 1.8.2
Explore, download, and update Pivotal software and services at Pivotal Network.

Looking for a cost-effective, scalable training solution for you and your team?

Look no further than the all-new eLearning classes from Pivotal Academy.

eLearning courses provide students with the same in-depth, technical content delivered in the classroom - optimized for self-study. Courses include 30-day access to a series of recorded, self-paced videos and recommended lab exercises to help reinforce concepts. Best of all, eLearning does not require travel and pairs perfectly with our instructor-led training classes.

Pivotal Academy offers the following eLearning classes available for immediate purchase:

To learn more and view our entire portfolio of free and fee-based offerings, visit pivotal.io/academy.

Pivotal Academy now proudly accepts American Express!

Support News

Notice of Pivotal Support Process changes effective 10/21/2016

Do you use EMC's Service Center when seeking assistance with Greenplum Database, Pivotal Hadoop, or other Pivotal software products? If so, please note: beginning October 21, 2016, you will no longer be able to open Pivotal software-only cases through Service Center. While you may continue to call EMC via 1-800-SVC-4EMC, there will be a slight delay as your call is redirected to Pivotal Support.

If you have yet to register with Pivotal Support in addition to the Pivotal Network, these instructions will help you to register today:

Notice of End of Service Life for EMC Data Computing Appliance Version 1 (DCA v1)

The End of Service Life (EoSL) is March 31, 2017 for EMC DCA v1.

Please note that EMC DCA v1 is a bundled product. The Pivotal Greenplum Database software that is part of EMC DCA v1 will also be EoSL on March 31, 2017.

Where can I find support information about EMC DCA v1?  You can find out more information here, or by contacting Ted Schachter, Product Manager for DCA, at Ted.Schachter@dell.com.

Social Square

Pivotal is transforming how the world builds and supports software.  See how we do it by following us on InstagramTwitter and YouTube

Have you seen these Pivotal Tweets?

How about this video on YouTube?

Here are links to some of our AWESOME blogs and a great podcast!

Blogs:

Podcast:

Upcoming Events Featuring Pivotal 

Data Events

Hortonworks Future of Data Roadshow:

Each city will be a full day of content-rich sessions on the Future of Data, Open and Connected Data Platforms, Apache™ Spark at Scale, Streaming solutions, Cloud solutions, Business and Industry Transformations via a Big Data journey.

Hortonworks Future of Data Meetups:
Deploying and Managing Pivotal HDB on Hortonworks
  • San Francisco - Oct 19 - RSVP
  • Santa Clara - Oct 20 - RSVP

Platform Events

Cloud Foundry Summit Europe 2016
September 26 - 28, 2016 | Frankfurt, Germany - Register

Upcoming Webinars:

Technical Webinar Series with Pivotal and Hortonworks - links to registration:

All Events

You can see all upcoming events here!

Meet Your Support Expert

Meet Adam, a support professional for Pivotal Big Data Suite.

I’m a Customer Engineer and I’m here to help you solve issues. I live and work in Cork, Ireland. I have extensive experience in Customer Support.

My objective is to solve customer issues and then document how I have solved them, so that my peers get to know the best practices going forward.

I want to help you save time and one way I do this is by writing Knowledge Base (KB) articles.

First, I ask myself if the customer experience would be easier if a KB article existed for the issue? If yes, I write the article. Also, I take the most straightforward approach to update the documentation whenever I see a gap. Secondly, a lot of information that is documented in new KB articles is for new issues. Therefore, it is very important that I communicate to you, our users, on these workarounds ASAP. This approach hopefully helps you resolve your issue faster by providing very clear answers.

Adam continuously updates his community posts and KB Articles. Here are a few of them:

Comments