3 followers Follow

restrict partitioning of gemfire cache region to specific number of nodes

I am using gemfire peer to peer set up for caching across different processes. For one particular region, I want to restrict partitioning to only 2/3 processes instead of across all processes. This is in order to reduce computational and network overhead which outweighs benefits from parallelism. Is there a way to specify this in gemfire configs?

Alternatively, I will need to set up dedicated processes for that region alone. This seems more cumbersome as it will require specifying all other regions as well with partition size 0.

samit jain

Please sign in to leave a comment.

2 comments

Hello Samit,

The use case is not fully understandable from your description, but based on what I see, at the moment I can think of two options:

1. Member Groups: by using member groups, you can coordinate certain operations on members based on the logical group membership. So, as an example, you can have the partitioned region defined only on the servers belonging to this group.
  2. Fixed Partitioning: you can set up partitioned regions for specific data that must reside on specific physical computers, or when your data must be close to certain hardware components.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Juan Ramos 0 votes

Hello Samit,

>For one particular region, I want to restrict partitioning to only 2/3 processes instead of across all processes. 

I'm not sure of your detailed requirements but how about hosting the specific partitioned region only on 2/3 member processes in your distributed system in addition to Juan's idea? If you want to access from other 1/3 member processes to the partitioned region in terms of peer-to-peer configuration, it's O.K. to host the partitioned region with refid="PARTITION_PROXY" on those member processes.

>Alternatively, I will need to set up dedicated processes for that region alone. 

This can be realized with the same idea of mine. You just host the specific region on the specific member process only.

Akihiro Kitada 0 votes